Friday, March 25, 2011

We are Known

Last night at my bible study we talked about the Spirit.  Our discussion was mainly about certain situations we hear the Spirit most clearly and how we know when the Spirit is telling us something.  I woke up thinking about this because last night I did not have much of an answer to either of these questions.

This thought really only lasted about 5 seconds before I slipped into thinking about all the things burdening me.  Yesterday I read 2 Corinthians 3:17 where it says "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."  I was suddenly struck by the fact that I don't feel free... not at all.  I feel like I am carrying the burden of every area of my life and it is draining.  I spend so much time trying to "fix" myself so everything can work out the way "it is supposed to", that I leave no room for the Spirit and like the verse says that's where freedom is.  Spirit=freedom.  

So going back to my morning melt down, in the midst of me pouring out my heart telling God all the things weighing me down, I heard in response a simple "I know".  That was all I needed.  What I had been longing for is that response from someone telling me they completely understand my feelings and my hurt.  Here all along I forgot my Father knows.  He knows it all!  He comprehends the mind games that go on in my brain everyday, He knows my insecurities, and He understands the pain life causes me.  

The Spirit saying those two words to me set me free.  When I am in the darkest places, that is when I can hear the Spirit most clearly.  Just as C.S. Lewis said "God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain.”  I have found in my suffering that is where I feel my Father most near.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy how two little words can make all the difference! Awesome blog :)

    ReplyDelete