Friday, March 18, 2011

The Relief of Grace

It seems to happen to me on a pretty regular basis that I wake up in the morning and my first thought goes something like, "If I could just run away and not deal with today, I would love it." When I look deeper into why this seems to be a trend, it makes sense. How I define myself so often lies in how I perceive others think of me that it turns into an evil game of reaching the standard of perfection. Then when I don't reach it, I failed.

Why would I want to deal with the issues of what the day may bring when I never reach my perfection standard? This just translates to me failing at everything throughout the whole day! There is no joy or peace in that.

Today happens to be a really bad case of feeling sorry for my failing self. One of those days where you replay every situation that proves you failed. I was scrolling through my News Feed on Facebook and there was the solution. I have heard the song "You are More" by Tenth Avenue North plenty of times, but it felt so different this time. Often my definition of being a new creation is that all the "huge" screw ups I had before knowing Jesus don't define me. I forget that the sin that I commit now STILL does not. Like it says in the song the choices, mistakes, and problems that happen, do not define me.

God's grace is sufficient for all of this.

This means I have the freedom to take risks and fail. Also that I can be who God created me to be without fear someone won't accept me. Failing and rejection say nothing about who I am because Jesus settled that one for me and He tells me who I am.

At the beginning of every day there is grace abounding.


1 comment:

  1. love it. such a needed reminder! His grace goes farther!

    ReplyDelete